•Far West: If you only have time for one trip, go to the far west and explore Bayan Olgii. With a little more time explore Uvs. You’ll need two weeks and you should fly one way.
• Khovsgol: But don’t just go to the lake, also check out the Darkhat Valley or Chandiman-Ondor. This requires another 10-15 days.
• Gobi: go to the Gobi and do a Ger-to-Ger trek in Dundgov. Also try to get down the Singing Sand dunes. It’s a helluva long trip. You’ll need about 8-10 days for the Gobi.
• Eastern Mongolia: Check out Dadal, Dariganga and Khalkh Gol. You’ll need 7-10 days.
• Central: Arkhangai and Kharkhorin. Arkhangai is OK but kind of similar to Khovsgol. You don’t need to go out of your way for Kharkhorin but might be able to include in a trip to/from Gobi or places west. You can do this area in 5 days.
• Up north: Selenge and Bulgan. Here you can check out Amarbayasgalant Monastery and some pretty countryside in Bulgan. You can do it in less than four days. You can probably loop this into a trip with Khovsgol if you have time.
• Dornogov: Pop down to Dornogov to see Khamaryn Monastery near Sainshand. It’s easy to get down here by train. You can do it in 2-3 days.
Posted by: pktan
Having spent a few months in the amazing Mongolia for the past few years, PkTan is fascinated with this beautiful, complicated country. He love advising travellers to Mongolia and have developed this site to share all his knowledge of Mongolia with everyone.